Why visit our reserve
Our reserve is one of the most famous for birdwatching and photography tours in special Antpittas, Andean Cock-of-the-rock (gallo de la peña) and more than 180 species of birds that they inhabit in the cloud forest area, Angel Paz is a birdwatcher who will be your local guide for birding in the Refugio Paz de las Aves. On this tour for birdwatching and photography, the passenger must rent a private transport, a van is recommended because we will travel 7km making different stops to find different species of birds, for that reason consider our suggestion.
Activities carried out on the birdwatchers or photographers tours
- First stop (LEK) we made to observe the lek of the Andean Cock-of-the-rock (gallo de la peña) for 1 hour, to arrive there will take 3 to 5 minutes walking, after 7am we will continue to,
- second stop (MARIA) will be made approximately 1 hour, where Angel Paz and Rodrigo is going to star looking for Giant Antpitta known as Maria, Dark-backed Wood-Quiail and other birds in general, after observing these two wonderful species, we will make the
- third stop (RESTAURANT) where we will observe tanagers, toucans and hummingbirds in feeders, in approximately one hour of watching and photography we continue to the
- fourth stop (Shakira), In this place we will walk 400 meters to see Ocher-breasted Antpitta known as Shakira, also, Moustached Antpitta, Golden headed Quetzal and other birds in general, to finish we will make the
- last stop (Andreita) it is at the highest part of the tour to see Chestnut -crowned Antpitta, Yellow breasted Antpitta and Plate billed mountain Toucan, after All these activities we will return to the third stop RETAURANT to enjoy a typical breakfast.
Note: It is important to mention that the weather may change if there is any delay with bird watching.
What is possible to observe?.
- Giant Antpitta (Gralaria Gigante)
- Moustached Antpitta (Gralaria bigotuda)
- Chestnut-crowned Antpitta (Gralaria Coronicastaña)
- Yellow-breasted Antpitta (Gralaria ventriamarillenta)
- Ochre-breasted Antpitta (Gralaria pechiocrácea)
- Andean cock-of-the-rock (Gallo de la peña)
- Dark-backed Wood-Quail (Corcovado dorsioscuro).
- Plate-billed Mountain-Toucan (Tucan Andino)
- Toucan Barbet (Tucan Barbudo)
- Golden-headed Quetzal (Quetzal Cabecidorado).